Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Interesting article regarding competitive advantage.

THE GUERRILLA WITH THE 100% CLOSE RATE

My wife had a birthday coming up and I was thinking about a topaz ring for her when I met Wink Jones, an Idaho jeweler who runs Winfield's in Boise at 800-524-7904. His email is wink@primenet.com and his website at www.diamondsandgems.com. I tell you this because Wink said he was a guerrilla deep inside, then proceeded to prove it. I'm so delighted with my experience I hope you can have the same kind of pleasurable transaction and get to know truly customized guerrilla marketing. After speaking with me in person and with my wife by phone, Wink sent us a selection of unset topazes so my wife could make her selection. That he trusted total strangers with such beautiful stones was a revelation to me.

Next, he made a few rough designs and emailed them to us. We were impressed but still not enough to make a decision to purchase. Wink said he'd send something else to make our decision a lot easier. A week later, Fedex delivered a package. Inside was a videotape and a package of microwave popcorn, along with a suggestion to enjoy the popcorn as we viewed the tape. The tape began with music and my wife's name in the opening title. It continued with dramatic footage of three settings of the stone selected, each one shot from all sides, above, and below -- so she could inspect the designs from all angles.

She found one she loved and we ordered it, commenting that we deeply appreciated the videotape just for us. Wink told us he does that for all his customers and has closed 100% of the sales he has made using a video. Hardly a surprise, but definitely a great example of customized guerrilla marketing.

Jay Levinson and Amy Levinson

No comments: